Global carmakers raided by EU; UK also announces probe – Reuters
BRUSSELS, March 15 (Reuters) – EU antitrust regulators on Tuesday raided several automotive companies and associations in several countries on suspicion of breaching the bloc’s cartel rules, while Britain’s competition authority also launched a probe.
The European Commission also sent companies requests for information, it said without disclosing company names.
“The inspections and requests for information concern possible collusion in relation to the collection, treatment and recovery of end-of-life cars and vans which are considered waste,” the EU competition enforcer said in a statement.
Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com
Renault (RENA.PA) said it “confirms that it was visited today by European Commission investigators” and that it was cooperating fully.
Opel, a brand of world No. 4 carmaker Stellantis (STLA.MI), said its offices had been searched by investigators.
“The subject of investigation is the area of recycling end-of-life vehicles,” Opel said in a statement. “Of course, we cooperate fully with the authorities.”
German carmaker BMW said it had received a request for information and would respond.
Mercedes Benz (MBGn.DE) said it did not expect to be fined because it had approached the EU regulator and Britain’s Competition and Markets Authority with information as a “leniency applicant.”
The CMA said it was investigating a number of unnamed automakers and some industry bodies in its own end-of-life vehicle probe, and that it was cooperating with the Commission. read more
Ford (F.N) said in a statement that it had been served with a notice by CMA “relating to the recycling of old or written-off vehicles, specifically cars and …….