Is the MaxCare CarMax Warranty Worth It? (2022 Guide) – MarketWatch
The standard CarMax warranty provides coverage for 90 days/4,000 miles, but once that expires, your vehicle won’t have protection against mechanical breakdowns. Purchasing a CarMax MaxCareⓇ extended warranty could be an easy way to gain peace of mind while on the road.
We at the Home Media reviews team have carefully looked at the services, cost and benefits that come with an extended CarMax warranty. The team also ranked the best extended car warranty companies overall, so we’ll explain whether third-party coverage could better protect your vehicle over the long term.
CarMax Extended Warranty Overview
All CarMax vehicles come with a limited warranty that lasts for 90 days/4,000 miles. You also have the option to add a CarMax MaxCare extended warranty at the time of your used vehicle purchase.
The MaxCare extended warranty provides coverage for your car’s major systems, in including the ones below:
- Electrical system
- Cooling system
- Climate control
Plans are tailored to the vehicle you choose and its mileage, though they can last anywhere from 75,000 to 150,000 miles. Deductible choices range from $50 to $300.
There are no specific powertrain or bumper-to-bumper warranty plans for CarMax cars. MaxCare coverage is relatively thorough, but it won’t match the protection found on a manufacturer’s warranty.
You can include MaxCare in your monthly car payment or purchase it up front using a credit card, cash or check. The extended CarMax warranty can be canceled at any time and can be transferred to new car owners, though cancellation and transfer fees may apply.
What’s Not Covered?
The following items are not covered by the extended CarMax warranty:
- Maintenance services such as oil changes
- Maintenance parts including batteries, brakes, wiper blades and tires
- Aftermarket accessories and equipment installed after you buy the car
- Conditions caused by corrosion, collisions or improper maintenance
- Vehicle breakdowns due to abuse or misuse
While CarMax roadside assistance comes with flat-tire services, it won’t cover the purchase of new equipment. Fuel delivery services also don’t provide for the actual fuel cost. You can find further details about CarMax MaxCare warranty exclusions in your contract.
The extended CarMax warranty comes with the following perks:
- Emergency roadside assistance: CarMax MaxCare includes 24-hour roadside assistance, which covers fuel delivery and flat tire removal.
- Rental car reimbursement: Your MaxCare contract will reimburse rentals up to $40 per day for seven days during covered repairs.
- Discounted deductibles: Get a $50 discount on your deductible if you take your vehicle to any CarMax service center or RepairPal-certified shop for covered car repairs.
Nationwide protection: MaxCare covers your car anywhere in the United …….