Large hail damages cars as severe thunderstorm warnings remain in effect for parts of Alberta – CBC.ca
Thunderstorm warnings are in effect for parts of west central Alberta as severe weather events move east across the province.
A tornado was also seen touching down outside of Coronation, Alta. earlier Monday.
Possible Tornado Alert Aug01 530PM Take necessary precautions. Parts of Central… <a href=”https://t.co/L8ht6OCtPQ”>https://t.co/L8ht6OCtPQ</a> <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/ABemerg?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#ABemerg</a> <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/ABtornado?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#ABtornado</a>
The weather service is also tracking a cluster of severe thunderstorms capable of producing very strong wind gusts, nickel to ping pong ball-sized hail and heavy rain.
Severe thunderstorm warnings were in effect around 10:30 p.m. for:
- Starland County near Michichi and Delia.
- Starland County near Morrin and Munson.
- Starland County near Rumsey and Rowley.
- County of Paintearth near Castor and Fleet.
- S.A. 2 near Hanna and Richdale.
- S.A. 2 near Spondin and Scapa.
- County of Minburn near Minburn and Mannville.
- County of Vermilion River near Islay and McNabb Sanctuary.
- County of Vermilion River near Kitscoty and Marwayne.
- County of Vermilion River near Vermilion.
- Birch Hills County near Wanham and Peoria.
- County of Paintearth near Halkirk and Big Knife Provincial Park.
- County of Stettler near Big Valley.
- County of Stettler near Botha and Gadsby.
- County of Stettler near Byemoor and Endiang.
- County of Grande Prairie near Sexsmith and La Glace
Tornado alerts were issued earlier in the day for areas around central Alberta but were dropped later into the evening.
Environment Canada recommends to take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches, warning of heavy downpours causing flash floods and damage or injury caused by large hail.
Lightning also kills and injures Canadians every year.
Several vehicles on the Queen Elizabeth II Highway near Innisfail, Alta., were damaged Monday due to large hail. About 70 vehicles in the area were damaged, according to Cpl. Gina Slaney, Southern Alberta RCMP media relations officer.
RCMP helped transport those who were stranded on the highway due to damage to their vehicles.
No injuries have yet been reported, according to Slaney.
Major car damage from the earlier <a href=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/abstorm?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>#abstorm</a>. Talked to the owners of the vehicle and they said they got stuck in the core NW of Innisfail <a href=”https://t.co/itXqs544bK”>pic.twitter.com/itXqs544bK</a>
Heat warnings remain in effect throughout much of the province.